At the Climate Change conference on Saturday, I went to a morning workshop run by Daniel Gotts (Edinburgh Slow Food movement) and Pete Ritchie (a local organic farmer).
- Organic farming is about looking after the soil.
- We’ve lost the connection between the harvest and the food on our plates.
- Need to differentiate between nutritional & non-nutritional food.
- A VAT style tax on junk food?
- Water & health are widely recognized as public goods, yet food – which is essetial for life – is not.
- Negative impact of CAP – overstocking.
- Need an increased food conciousness.
- Are we talking about tweaks to the current system, or a new system?
- We don’t always necessarily have the right to eat whatever we want, whenever we want.