Some more notes from Piper’s sermons at New Horizon…
* The universe exists to display the greatness of the glory of the grace of God.
* Rev 13:8 – Even before creation, in God’s mind there would be a slaying of the Lamb. This means that Jesus death was not Plan B!
* Rev 5:9-12 – God is not evil, to will evil, that he hates. (Struggled to get my head round this point at first… think I’m getting there.)
* Lam 3:32 – Translating the Hebrew word for ‘willingly’ literally here means ‘from His heart’. So God might ‘will’ evil, but it does not come from His heart.
* Every blessing we enjoy was bought by the cross, by His suffering. There are 7 blessings we receive through Jesus sufferings:
1) Jesus absorbed our wrath (Gal 3:13)
2) Jesus bore our sins and our guilt (1 Pet 2:24)
3) Jesus provided perfect righteousness for us (Phil 2:7-8)
4) Jesus defeated death (Heb 2:14)
5) Jesus disarmed Satan (Col 2:14)
6) Jesus purchased perfect, final healing (Isa 53:4)
7) Jesus brings us to God, which is the goal of the Gospel (1 Pet 3:18)
1) The point was to give God glory
2) That plan came to its pinacle on Good Friday in His suffering
3) Therefore, we will praise Him forever.