Some notes from John Piper’s sermon last night at New Horizon…
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and fill up on my part that which is lacking of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body’s sake, which is the church. (Colossians 1:24)
* Pauls life was a life of freely chosen suffering.
* 1 Cor 15:30-32; Paul only lives this way because he absolutley believes it, there is a better way if all you want is pleasure.
* In the western world we have made Christianity too domesticated… we must learn to accept risk.
* Col 1:24; The incompleteness mentioned is not that Christ’s suffering is inadequate in atonement for our salvation without our suffering, but that others observe His suffering through our suffering. M. Vincent comments that what was lacking was a “presentation of His suffering by the church.”
* Christians have the chance to suffer so they can magnify Christ in their lives. (Gal 2:20)
* During suffering, although it is sorrowful, we must also rejoice! Think of Paul in the Phillipian jail – awaiting death and yet singing in the middle of the night!